Wednesday, July 13, 2011

She's Crafty: The No. 1 Ladies' Dectective Agency Silhouette

 First and foremost, I want to admit that I have a problem: I read Alexander McCall Smith's books in one sitting, like the litcrack we all know they are.  Among my friends my love of mystery books is well known, from Encyclopedia Brown to Agatha Christie; after all, my first love I christened "Nancy Drew".  The stories about the plucky ladies' of Botswana's first (and only) women's detective agency are entertaining and heartwarming, and the show on HBO is just as addictive.  Get full project details after the jump! Project difficulty: 2/5 Project Cost: 2/5


When I stumbled across Christine Chitnis' blog a while back, and saw this little project, I fell in LOVE.   She's posted about it here, but I wanted to share it with everyone and anyone who wanted to pay homage to the character of Precious Ramotswe, who is quite the BrownGirl Gadfly protagonist herself....

 Materials:
-Embroidery Hoop
-Fabric selections (at least three in the same color family)
-Scissors
-Glue/Needle & Thread
Steps:
1. Trace image of your choice (Christine used this outline of Precious) by printing it out on your computer.
2. Once you have your outline, cut your fabric strips to size so that you can lay them on top of each other.
3. Choose a fabric to use as the base on the embroidery hoop and secure it in place.
4. Use fabric glue or a thread and needle to fasten your layers of fabric on the frame.
5. Tada! Your silhouette.

I also think that I would like to do this project with some old family photographs...

No comments:

Post a Comment