Tuesday, July 12, 2011

A Brave New World; or What is a Gadfly?

I suppose I should say something befitting the occasion of the Very! First! posting here on BGG.  Upon thinking about it, I think it would be useful to begin at the beginning....  


Once upon a time, (last week) I was going through my usual list of blogs/websites  and realized that, as a woman of color with varied interests (and low finances), who also likes to consider herself 'socially and politically aware', I couldn't find one place with the 'perfect fit'.  Although I'm crafty, 9 times out of 10 projects require more supplies or skill than I have; although I love pop culture, I also like to dissect it; although I love fashion (someone once called me  'another Imelda'... Yikes.), and can appreciate a deal,  I still want to know that the workers who sewed the damn things together aren't getting paid in sardines and a tin nickles.

Wikipedia defines a "social gadfly" in part as "...a person who upsets the status quo by asking upsetting or novel questions." BrownGirl Gadfly has a similar purpose.  This blog will explore the intersection of race, gender, class, and orientation with pop culture, food, art, and fashion; but primarily as it pertains to women of color.  Let's ask those "upsetting or novel questions..." of both ourselves and others.  
 


Get it? Got it? Good!  I'ma get on with it, then!
-DL 

No comments:

Post a Comment