Saturday, July 23, 2011

Rant: Why Defensive Posts On Interracial Dating Miss The Point

Image via Jezebel by Steve Dressler
So this morning I was over at one of my favorite blogs and I came across another "I'm with a White guy and here's why" articles.  Now, as someone who has had her fair share of interracial relationships, (both loving and healthy, as well as not-so-constructive), these articles always kind of irk me.  Originally posted at News Taco, (a new favorite site, for sure), the author talks about originally wanting to share cultural references with someone who "understands", but then goes on to say:


"But that didn't work out. The brown men I dated didn't do well with my independent nature. Some of them were off put by my very non-traditional beliefs and lifestyle. I'm not generalizing, though. I'm sure that there are plenty of educated brown men who are comfortable dating unconventional brown women and don't secretly want a white girl. Please don't send me angry emails, for I know these men exist. I, however, never met one who showed any interest in me. Believe me - I looked. Also, the further I got into my education, I'm talking about graduate school, the fewer Latinos I came across."
At first I couldn't put my finger on why this passage in particular really rubbed me the wrong way.  Then I read further, and got more and more irritated.

After stating that going to nice restaurants with her boyfriend's Anglo family makes the author feel "awkward and guilty" upon seeing the looks of "confusion...judgement and disappointment" from the "Mexican busboys", OhHellsNaw (the handle that the author goes by), goes on to end her piece with
"There are so many interracial couples in this country, I don't see why people are still offended by it. We all have our particular preferences[....] And, I suppose, the the world can judge us all it wants because last time I checked, miscegenation was still legal."
And then it hit me...At no time is there any exploration or acknowledgement of the REASONS behind why Latino men in so-called higher education might be hard to find, among other concerning oversights.  Frankly, I also think the comments alone are enough fodder for a completely different blog post. 

Regardless, it's too bad that this article showcases tired stereotypes and tropes that I, as a Latina, get pretty uncomfortable with. I know the writer gives an out by saying "progressive brown men exist, merely I simply couldn't find them", but I also wonder why these stories proliferate here on the web. "Why I date/married a white person" articles seem to be in vogue, and their defensive tone (comparing people questioning the cultural motives for dating in/out of ones' race as supporting miscegenation laws) irks me.

The busboys looking with "confusion" and "disappointment" are not looking because they want there to be laws against interracial dating, I'd wager. They are looking, like I sometimes look at Latino and Black men who date interracially, because they know that greater society tells them, (in many cases, both overtly and covertly told by upper class white folk, that brown people are de facto less intellegent, less attractive (unless they are 'exotic'), less desirable than a white partner, SIMPLY on the basis of race. That cuts, and it cuts damn deep. So if someone of your own ethnicity/race isn't welcoming your interracial coupling, it may be ignorance---as well as the fact that WE ALREADY GET TOLD WE AREN'T GOOD ENOUGH, in many ways FOR 'MAINSTREAM' CONCEPTS OF BEAUTY, INTELLIGENCE AND DESIRABILITY, but seeing one's 'own' people who might have also bought into that idea...Well, it sucks. 



Combined with the plethora absurd comments underneath conflating race with ethnicity, not to mention conflating prejudice and racism with wanting a partner to get particular references, it was as if I had dunked my face in a gallon of haterade. (Sidenote: Just so everyone is clear: I am Latina, and I am black (Celia Cruz). There are 'white' Latinas (Meridith Viera), there are latinas who look more tanned  (America Ferrera). It is not difficult, as ethnicity is where one is from, and race is what people LOOK like. *sigh* C'mon people.)

But I digress...

I wrote a long comment myself underneath the article, although I realized afterwards that my time would have been better spent just confining my annoyance to here. Regardless, the relationship described within the article sounds loving, happy and relatively healthy.  The article itself is engaging, and it briefly touches on the class issues that often come with being of color (which are so often overlooked). That, alone, gets points from me.  I suppose I'm more interested in the dynamics of navigating an interracial relationship (where is the significant other's POV, what cultural misunderstandings/obstacles and challenges they have traversed as a couple) rather than what basically amounts to an Open Letter To All The Haters. 

3 comments:

  1. I found the article self absorbed and more of an excuse for her actions than anything worthwhile, but of course the gueras that run jezebel found it to be one of the few "Latina" articles worth publishing. There is an excellent rebuttal on the original New Taco story by an "SMD" - paz. temicamatl

    ReplyDelete
  2. [apologies for the split, character limit at play]

    Part I:
    I agree with your reaction, and that of "smd" as well. There was lots that rubbed me the wrong way, and the author didn't bring much substantive or radical analysis to the piece, which is what I was looking for when I googled "xicana interracial dating".

    I was googling in the first place because I'm in an interracial tar-pit myself, after years of excluding white people from my life altogether. I have no elders I can fully rely upon, since my family tends to be assimilationist and the older women in my community are all lesbians and don't have the question of children looming over them in quite the same way. My issue is: what do you do as a proud woman of color if you DO fall in love with a white man? Since you're interested in "dynamics of navigating an interracial relationship", I'm hoping this response to a 3-month-old post (generations old in blog-time!) catches up with you.

    I'm not highly educated in US terms, nor am I aspiring to be middle class. I'm queer, I relate best with other working class POC, and in all honesty I tend to find white folks straight-up unattractive. And yet I've fallen deeply in love with someone who I work collectively with. For me, the concern is: maybe this person -though having grown up in truly MISERABLE economic conditions- has had the support of white + male privilege that allowed him to grow into a healthier person and thereby a fuller and more supportive partner than the brown men and women I've dated. Does that make it easier for him to be good to me? And then the question becomes: does that mean it's counterrevolutionary to stick with someone who doesn't cheat on me, suffer from crippling depression, belittle me as a woman or queer or political person, or any of the other issues which have plagued my past relationships? Do we have a requisite responsibility as radical xican@s to pledge our hearts and bodies even to individuals who are unhealthy, and to work through that together no matter what the price? I know amazing and beautiful brown men and women, LOTS of them, and they inspire me on an hourly basis, but I have yet to find one to call mi amor, to have babies with, to be buried next to.

    And on the topic of babies... I myself come from a brown parent and a white parent (estilo Cherie Moraga y Edward James Olmos). I know firsthand that it sucks, and from the age of 5 I was giving my mom shit for not marrying another Mexicano like my tia did. For me, the price of committing to a white man romantically would mean not ever having kids. I'm not strong enough to roll the genetic dice and risk having pasty blue-eyed babies, I know that makes me a cold-hearted bigot but it's the truth. So on top of it all, I have to deal with the thought of never passing on my family names and stories, and that eats away at me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Part II:
    The thought of falling into the trap that so many light-skinned and mixed-raced women of color do: of marrying a white man, shames me. But knowing that it's not because I secretly hate myself, or brown men, or being queer, or any of the other motives we ascribe to such women; does that make the shame illegitimate, just another piece of twisted colonial baggage? Is there a certain point at which we should lay aside nationalist xican@ angst and stop operating solely according to the enemy's constructs?

    Basically I'm wondering, does anyone out there ever REALLY make it work? I don't want to end up in an isolated bubble of romantic happiness, because at the end of the day we only have so much time and space for all the people in our lives. Being with this person isn't going to keep me from organizing for equity in my black & brown neighborhood, but I know it will limit some of the people I meet, and whose houses I get invited over to for dinner. I agreed with smd on the other article's feedback, when they said that we need to be aware of the racialization that happens in this world whether we want it to or not, but I also want to live mindfully in a way that shapes the world back into what it needs to be in order for us all to live with dignity & justice.

    ReplyDelete